Snohomish was one of the first inland cities of the Puget Sound region and the original County seat for Snohomish County from 1861 to 1897. In a highly contested election in 1897 the County seat position was transferred to the growing City of Everett. Snohomish remained a vital community in the County. Located along the Snohomish River and not far from the foothills of the Cascade Mountain range, it is named for the Snohomish tribal ancestry of the area. Its commerce origins are in agriculture, dairy, and timber, as well as serving as a hub for nearby settlements in the Stillaguamish Valley. The City of Snohomish is known for its beautiful historic architecture and vibrant main street retail center. Throughout its history the downtown has remained the heart of the city. In the 1970s it was designated a National Historic Landmark to protect its structures and to provide eligibility for revenue and tax incentives that would continue to protect its key assets.
Snohomish River rail bridge. (Image courtesy of Snohomish Historical Society)
Bird’s eye drawing of Snohomish, c. 1890. (Image courtesy of Snohomish Historical Society)
First Avenue, looking West, Snohomish, WA c 1920s. (Image courtesy of Snohomish Historical Society) courtesy of Snohomish Historical Society)
Earl Averill, July 1931. (Photo courtesy of the City of Snohomish) Born in Snohomish, Washington, Earl Averill was a Major League Baseball player and center fielder from 1929 to 1941. He was a six-time All-Star (1933–38) and was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1975. He played for Cleveland for over ten years, and remains the all-time Indian leader in total bases, runs batted in, runs, and triples. Averill also played in the 1933 All Stars Game with Babe Ruth.
In recent years it has become known as the “antique capital of the Northwest” and for a series of annual festivals that make it a center of local tourism. A day in Snohomish provides sweet reminders of the past, and the opportunity to wander small town America at its finest. The 2010 census cites a population of 9,098 people.